The Merrell WaterPro Ottawa Shoe – made with the assumption that you are going to push them and yourself to the limit. Definately caught my attention straight away. Like most kayaking enthusiasts, I am the destroyer of paddling footwear!
So, I put them to the test during the last 2 months to see if they live up to the hype.
The first thing I noticed was the new improved Vibram sole (something that let down it’s predecessors). The clever R&D team at Merrell have used a new sticky rubber traction sole. Just the right amount of stiffness to protect your feet, but also a softer rubber outer that snugs boulder contours better to increase surface friction. This has vastly improved their grip both on wet and dry rocks.
The shoe has a neoprene heal lining and mesh abrasion resistant upper with a intergrated wrap system which provides great foot support. As the name suggests it is a shoe construction, so provides minimal ankle protection but this is a traded off against, comfort and flexibility for freedom of movement. They would require neoprene socks in the winter, although I found them more than adequate with my dry suit socks.
The WaterPro shoe has also proven highly resistant to the damaging effects of dry rooms and have not cracked or come appart at the seams.
All in all I think the ‘New’ WaterPro Ottawa shoe is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a lightweight, reliable, tough shoe that offers comfort and unparalleled sole protection. It gets a big two thumbs form me.
- Compression-molded EVA midsole absorbs shock and provides support
- Vibram ProWater sole/TC5+ sticky rubber/3 mm siped lugs for excellent wet/dry grip
- Breathable, single-layer mesh upper; Aegis antimicrobial treatment inhibits odor
- Welded PU mesh reinforcements and synthetic leather overlays add durability
- Aegis treated neoprene heel lining and padded tongue
- Abrasion resistant polyurethane-coated synthetic leather toecap
- 4.5 mm anatomical perforated EVA footbed with Aegis antimicrobial to inhibit odor
- Air Cushion under the heel absorbs shock, centers the heel and stabilizes the foot Molded heel pull tab for easy on/off
- Slip lasted construction with an EVA board provides flexibility while maintaining a close, comfortable fit.
Click here for Merrell official UK website: Merrell UK